This is a concept design for an app that lets renters, tenants and seekers connect with each other to find the best possible accommodation solutions. Renters can list their properties, be it a house/flat or a PG and tenants can seek flatmates / housemates. Seekers can look for both types of accommodation. The app goes one step further to help connected flatmates manage expenses together.
- User Research
- Information Architecture
- Interaction Design
- Usability Testing
Connecting renters and tenants is a fairly saturated market however there are still many challenges to be tackled when it comes to effectively solving accommodation problems. Some common problems are:
- Seekers not able to find proper accommodation
- Renters and seekers wishing to have a personal connection before settling in on the accommodation
- Online seeking and posting is quite a hassle with brokers and agents flooding the market
- Renters worrying about the maintenance of their property
- Target users belonging to vast age range
Our challenge was to tackle these issues while designing and creating an interface that is easy to use and understand by users of all ages.
I started by defining and grouping the target audience into age groups and created character archetypes based on three age groups
- 18-30 ( Mostly seekers and tenants)
- 30- 45 ( Mostly Renters and Tenants)
- 45-75 ( Mostly Renters, Parents of seekers and to a lesser extent tenants and seekers)
Based on my research, I found that users did not like long scrolls and filling forms hence my design incorporates a taptic experience and group information entry into small chunks combined with a card based layout that works on swipe gesture. This helps user retainability and also ensures the user does not find the process tedious.
Most seekers are working professionals and students whose accommodation preferences are heavily influenced and sometimes even decided by parents. We needed to keep them in mind as a target user group as well. By understanding human behaviour and cultural significance I was able to deduce the smaller nuances of designing this app.