Treebo Hotels is a tech enabled chain of affordable and reliable hotels, being funded by some top VC firms. Their aim of capitalizing their financial resources was majorly constructed on creating a great, hassle-free hospitality experience by providing an online presence of their hotels for booking while anticipating a customer’s need, want and action (behaviours, attitudes and emotions) when interacting with the service
Responsive Website for Desktop and Mobile
- User Research
- Information Architecture
- Interaction Design
- Visual Design
- User Retainability : The company had approached us with an overview to bring about a disruptive change in the way people book for hotel accommodations in Indian cities. One of the biggest challenge we had to tackle was to reduce the bounce-rate by breaking away from the stereotypical session flow of booking a room, as experienced through other competitors’ web-based services and increasing the user retainability and not letting them leave the website by closing the loop through value-added features.
- Not Optimized Website : The playing field has changed quickly with technology and the competition is getting stronger across many different channels. We still saw our incumbents’ offerings without a proper promotions page, too many exit links to other sites, not optimized for all devices (responsive), not rewarding guests booking on their website, or not promoting their unique points of difference.
- Guest Profiling : Gathering and using Guest preferences and intelligence to enable delivery of superior guest experience. Hotels are uniquely able to gather data and profile through the many sources of interaction both on and off property. Back end database technology can enable the business in making this data available for greater customer intimacy and anticipation of returning Guest needs.
- Room Types : Unlike the other incumbents’ model structure of having one room type across all their hotels, it was ubiquitous for us to accommodate 3-4 room types in our experience building, which would then result in various issues to be faced by the user while making a booking due to back end database restrictions.
- Dismissing Online Reputation : it is impossible to dismiss the overwhelming power and influence of social media. It is important to track what guests are saying online about your products and services and understand how guests are comparing you to your competitors. It is also important to ensure that you deliver and grow your guest testimonials through your own website and email engagement pre and post stay
- Engagement through Promotional activities : It is better to value add than discount and it is important to continue to focus on your ideal guest profile to ensure you attract the right demographic. Attracting a lower cost one could alter the overall guest balance in the long run. There are many ways to promote special offers and the tone, language and design of your offers will make a huge difference to the response you get.
It all started with us defining the target market for this particular revenue model. Using an exhaustive combination of qualitative and quantitative user research methods, I was able to observe and record the behavioural and temperamental patterns of people who have had experiences checking into a hotel, preferences and habits, expectations and goals in a systematic manner. Keeping in mind our target groups which were broadly pigeonholed and defined into three sections, I got down to designing the interactions which would be heralded to the user for them to take the least number of necessary steps to book a room. Visual language laid stress on content and the approach focused on bringing the value added services to the forefront. Instead of building a skin over the content, energy was spent on integrating the layout grid, visual treatment, typography, color and UI elements together and complementing each other. While reviewing a cauldron of past problems faced by the boarders, some of the state-of-the-art solutions implemented were:
- Aesthetic and minimalist design entailed clutter-free and minimal usage of text and lines to provide the pre-requisite information
- Bold and clean call-to-action links for the user, in aid to direct the user to their end objective, since the user doesn’t want to be weary of anomalies while making a booking which involves heavy booking payments
- The search module stays sticky and sections collapse during scrolling since one of primal motives was to minimize the user's memory load by making objects, actions, and options visible.
- Easy and distraction less booking flow with minimum number of user input fields
- The design structure was built with the idea of reducing the number of scrolls as following a thumb rule that the further a user scrolls, the less likely a booking will occur from this page and the more likely he or she is to be receptive to opportunities to browse other areas of the site
Constant user tests were conducted at every level to ensure that we are designing for our users
The biggest learning was to understand the requirements of the stakeholders and its users alike by fulfilling them through the shortest and smartest solutions via constant usability testing to measure the scalability of the returning users and to ensure that the design structure built as a platform is intuitive and serves to balance the functionality vs ease of use scale